Camping sites and barbecues will reopen under streamlined COVID-19 measures

SINGAPORE: Camping sites and barbecues are set to reopen under Singapore’s simplified COVID-19 safety management measures.

Camping sites and barbecues managed by the National Parks Board (NParks) will be reopened from March 18, the statutory board said in a joint media advisory with the Housing & Development Board (HDB), the Singapore Land Authority ( SLA) and Building and Construction Authority (BCA) on Friday, March 11.

Barbeques in HDB housing estates and private condominiums will also be reopened on the same day, as well as those managed by SLA.

ALS will reopen its campsites on March 29, authorities said.


Those wishing to camp or use the barbecues in the gardens and parks managed by NParks can apply for camping permits and reserve the sites through the AXS system from March 15 at 10 a.m.

Tents used for camping should be spaced at least 5 meters apart to allow for safe distancing, authorities said in the media advisory.

“The number of campers must also be maintained at five people per camping permit, which is the permitted group size,” they added.

The group size for each barbecue pit is also five, authorities said, adding that the permit for the pit is valid from 12 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. of the booked date.

Authorities also advised those traveling to the parks to check the latest updates on visitor numbers before arriving.

“We hope that all visitors to the park will be socially responsible and keep our green spaces safe for everyone,” they added.

Apart from NParks, SLA also operates campsites, located on Lazarus Island and Pulau Hantu Besar. Those wishing to visit Eagle Lodge holiday accommodation on St John’s Island can apply for a permit on the website from 10am March 15 for stays from March 29.

Barbeques are located on Kusu Island, St John Island and Pulau Hantu Besar and are free for public use on a first come, first served basis.

Residents who wish to book barbecues in their housing estates and private condominiums can contact their respective town halls and condominium management for more information, authorities said.

Sally J. Minick